Monday, October 17, 2011

Initial Observation from 10-12-11

I chose to set up my micro-aquarium with water from below the Cemetary (10. Water pool below spring. Lynnhurst Cemetery off of Adair Drive. Knox Co. Knoxville TN. Partial shade exposure Spring Feed Pond N36 01.357 W83 55.731 958 ft 10/9/2011).  There really wasn't any particular reason.  I used both plants "A" ( Plant A . Amblestegium sp. Moss. Collection from: Natural spring. at Carters Mill Park, Carter Mill Road, Knox Co. TN. Partial shade exposure. N36 01.168 W83 42.832. 10/9/2011)
and "B" (Plant B. Utricularia gibba L. Flowering plant. A carnivous plant. Original material from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville TN.) in my aquarium, and other than looking at the bladder structures, I didn't see anything too "special" about them yet.   I observed very few organism, but I did see at least two different kinds.  One appeared to be unicellular and moved VERY quickly.  I used one of the recommended websites and I think it might possibly be a protozoa, more specifically a Colep  (http://www.microscopyu.com/moviegallery/pondscum/index.html).  The other organanism was "hiding" in the top of the mud at the bottom, so I didn't get a very good look at it.  I did note that it appeared to be much larger (multicellular?) than the presumed-to-be Coleps, and more elongated.  I think it may be some type of insect larvae.  I guess I'll find out soon enough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment